Where We Started
This story begins with one human, me, and my personal passion to do big things in this world. The SU CASA PROJECT was born in February 2016 when I met a disgruntled landlord while in line to rent a U-haul. “Let me help you” I said “I have an Idea.” In addition to paying full rent, I personally renovated the property so that the landlord could put it up for sale. I spoke with possible buyers to pitch my Supportive Housing Program. Lo and behold, the first two folks I met purchased the property, believed in me and therefore, they invested in me. The Hummingbird House was officially given its wings.
It has been over two years and I now personally lease three homes that focus on an On-Site Supportive Mentor Program for Homeless Individuals in the Tacoma area.
- I have permanently housed and stabilized 17 young adults/ adults / older adults and 10 young children.
- I have done all of this for 45,000 dollars TOTAL!!
- I pay for everything out of my own pocket.
- I empower individuals to go to work, gain financial freedom and pay rent.
- I remove barriers such as disconnected phones, no money for uniforms and payment for certification or simple employment cards/certifications.
Small investments in people pay off in big ways.
- I have watched young people move on to their own apartments, gain full-time employment, graduate High School, Graduate with their G.E.D’s, GRADUATE COLLEGE with a A.A. in Business and Certifications in Nursing!
- I have sent individuals to Drug Rehabilitation Programs and have escorted successful graduates home, supporting them through their sobriety.
- I house individuals that have been released from Federal Prison.
- I have watched the successful closure of Child Protective Service Cases and have witnessed the reunification of families.
I am one human that works hard to show others that we can make a difference. It takes big ideas and even larger passions to make it through the failure…..and it is the most beautiful thing to see it through and watch it blossom. I encourage you to be inspired and live a life in service, together we can do this thing called LIFE.
The SU CASA PROJECT has just recently grown to be an official 501(c)3 Not for Profit; welcome to CORNERSTONE 253.
Please donate or join me!
To the Two Individuals that Took a Huge Gamble on Me:
Kim Thomas and Eric Basha
You are the amazing souls that came to the open house at the property I flipped. I was hoping that you would hear me out and let me create a Supportive Housing Program. Not only did you say yes, you have grown to be some of my closest friends and biggest Cheerleaders. I love you two with all my heart.
To The Unspoken Heros… you know who are, you helped me get here. I thank you for everything, you are with me.